There are many different definitions of soul mates. For me, a “soul mate” has never just meant the kind of the romantic variety. After spending the day with one of my soul mates (a soul sister), I felt inspired to write about how to know when you encounter one. It’s an intuitive sense of knowing, but there are specific themes that play out when you’ve just had an encounter with a soul mate:
1. This person is your mirror. How well you know yourself will be reflected in how well you know your soul mate. A soul mate can still be a puzzle; aspects of this person may remain a mystery, yet you also see their core because it feels exactly the same as yours.
2. You know their preferences. Somehow you could come up with a list of all the things they probably like and dislike. You might be able to guess their favorite movies and why, or even be able to pinpoint what they want out of life (and they might not even know that part just yet exactly, but you do. You know, and you also know that they will one day learn about themselves what you already know, they just don’t know it yet.)
3. You don’t have to explain. You’re on the same page. You get it, they get it, you know they get it, they know you get it. The end.
4. They are home to you. You may not even know why you feel so comfortable, but you do. You could be anywhere with them, doing anything, but they can make any foreign anything feel like home. You know that this person would have the same experience of whatever it is you’re experiencing. Like synchronicity, except between people.
5. Their ideas might as well be your ideas. Their ideas feel like your ideas. Sometimes you might not even be sure if it was your idea or if it was their idea.
6. You’re parallel lines. Stuff they are going through, you happen to be going through. Stuff they are learning and noticing is the same stuff you are learning and noticing… what a trip.
7. Their energy energizes you. You feel refreshed around them, almost like a day spent at a spa or out in nature. Yet, they also make you feel alive inside, happy and excited about the things you might not usually be excited about but somehow are because they are. You feel better just because they are there. You can’t explain the power of their presence but you feel it and feed off of it at the same time. You know it’s happening with them too.
8. You can go forever without talking. It doesn’t matter if it’s been days or years, decades even, but you know that when you see them it will feel like no time has passed and you’ll just pick up right where you left off.
9. You don’t talk about the weather. You don’t even notice the weather really. Your conversations are deep and meaningful, not about gossip, not really about politics or money necessarily, but about your philosophical foundations (dreams, visions, realities, beliefs, beauty, experiences, reflections, aspirations, inspirations, etc.)… which they somehow already seem to know about you, but it’s still fun to talk about anyways.
10. You just know. Deep down you just sorta know when you encounter these people. It’s like you found someone who speaks the same language where their words might as well be your words and vice versa. Something inside you goes off like a light bulb, “This is my person.” You recognize them like a piece of yourself you misplaced and then re-found in another because they feel so familiar.
Go with the feeling, and then thank them for finding you because these are the people you will grow the most with. These are the ones you will appreciate the most with. These are the few that you’ll have the most meaningful experiences with. Your soul mates are special people, rare, gems even. They are here to inspire you and somehow you can’t seem to get enough.